At a Glance
Damien is ...
• A middle and high school, grades 6-12, with a 50-year tradition of excellence in Catholic education in Hawaii.
• Part of the Edmund Rice School Network, an international consortium of Catholic schools across the U.S., Canada and South America.
• Preparing students for college and challenges of their future.
• True to our motto: Viriliter Age – Act Courageously.
• Service-oriented with service-learning and service opportunities throughout the year.
• Co-educational, with young men and women in every grade.
• Very proud of its first co-educational graduating class, the Class of 2016, the same year as the 50th reunion of our first graduating class, the Class of ‘66.
• Conveniently located in Honolulu, Hawaii, a block away from the Bishop Museum and near Honolulu International Airport.
• Offering a college prep curriculum with Honors and Advance Placement levels.
• An intimate learning environment with a low faculty-to-student ratio and low average class size.
• Home to highly-engaged faculty and an academic support team of counselors for each grade.
Damien is not ...
• Affiliated with the Roman Catholic Diocese of Honolulu.
• Exclusive for Catholic students; in fact, approximately 40% of our students are not Catholic.
• Just for just young men any more, as we are approaching 40% young women.
• Burdened with an overly-involved application process – apply online in minutes.
• A place where students go home after classes. Instead, they are involved in athletics, clubs and other activities that keep our campus humming into the night.
• Offering private education reserved for only some Oahu families or for a single type of student. Instead, our students come from: local and military families; diverse backgrounds, including Native Hawaiian, Filipino and Pacific Islander; all socio-economic circumstances; public and private elementary and middle schools; and communities throughout Oahu, including Ewa, Windward, town and nearby Kalihi.
By the Numbers
650 young men and women enrolled for 2018-19 Academic Year.
462 enrolled in high school, grades 9 – 12
188 enrolled in middle school, grades 6 – 8
20,000 service hours performed by students annually
98% college acceptance rate, Class of 2018
> $8.1M college aid awarded to our Class of 2018
< $14,250 tuition for high school
< $12,000 tuition for middle school
Approx. 80% of students receiving money for tuition from Damien and third party partners
12:1 Student-faculty ratio
22 Average class size
Dozens of clubs and organizations including robotics, developers, speech and debate, anime, newspaper and mock trial
14 sports competing in the ILH and CSL including football, bowling, volleyball, track, cross country, wrestling, judo, basketball, soccer, baseball and paddling